Martinsville Community Development offices develop and administer plans, ordinances, and programs to promote the public health, safety, and welfare of present and future City residents.
The department maintains and updates the City's Comprehensive Plan; administers Zoning and Subdivision Ordinances; coordinates federal and state grant applications for community development projects; and provides staff support to City Council, the Planning Commission, Board of Zoning Appeals, Tree Board, and Architectural Review Board. The department also collects data and provides information for policy development relating to economic development, transportation, affordable housing, and environmental planning.
- Wayne D. P. Knox
Director of Community Development
- Susan McCulloch
Community Planner/Zoning Administrator
- Tonya D. Rumley
Zoning Enforcement Specialist
Phone: 276-403-5380 or 276-403-5156
55 W. Church Street
Martinsville, VA 24112
For information about obtaining a building permit, please visit the Inspections page.
Zoning Ordinance Update
The new City of Martinsville Zoning Ordinance is in effect as of August 1, 2017.
Entrance Corridor Overlay ECO Map - Draft
Transitional Neighborhood Development Overlay (TND-O) Map Draft
Historic Preservation Overlay (HP-O) Map Draft
Martinsville Subdivision Ordinance Draft-June 2017
Community Development Projects
- Northside CDBG (neighborhood)
- Brownfields Assessment Grant
- Zoning Ordinance Update
- Partnership with Piedmont Arts Association for a National Endowment for the Arts Our Town Grant for the Piedmont Public Art Garden
- Uptown Martinsville Business District Revitalization - VA DHCD Community Development Block Grant (CDBG)
- Partnership with the Piedmont Health District and MHC Coalition for Health & Wellness for a Complete Streets program
- Partnership with the Artisan Center of Virginia and stakeholders to establish the Smith River Artisan Trail
- M-HC Enterprise Zone Designation Application - Approved October 2015
- New College Institute - Building on Baldwin
- The Henry Hotel adaptive reuse project - complete
City of Martinsville Sign Permit
City of Martinsville Rezoning Application
City of Martinsville Special Use Application
Enterprise Zone Incentive Chart - City of Martinsville
Enterprise Zone Incentive Application
Uptown Master Plan
The Uptown Martinsville Physical Improvements Plan by Land Planning Design Associates is below.
- Uptown Martinsville Physical Improvements Plan - LPDA
- Uptown Martinsville Graphics - LPDA
- Process: Land Planning Design Associates - Presentation to the Planning Commission and November 12, 2009 public/stakeholder meetings is available here.
- Martinsville Historic District
- Fayette Street Historic District
- E Church Street/Starling Avenue Historic District
- Martinsville Local Historic District Design Guidelines
- The National Park Service- The Benefits of Local Historic Districts
- Arts & Cultural District/Enterprise Zones map